Sunday, February 6, 2011

Tomorrow is the Day.....

While for many it is Super Bowl Sunday and a day of fun and the "big game" but for me it will be a day to reflect on the life of one of the greatest men to ever grace our land. It would have been the 100th birthday of our beloved 40th President , Ronald Wilson Reagan.

Below is a tribute that is to be played at the Super Bowl to honor this wonderful man that lead this country to one its better times in history.


He left office more than two decades ago, but former President Ronald Reagan's mark on America has yet to fade.

To date, Reagan is the oldest man elected to the office of the presidency (at 69). In his first inaugural address on January 20, 1981, which Reagan himself wrote, he addressed the country's economic malaise arguing: "In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problems; government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan was known as a staunch conservative, a cheery optimist, and an implacable foe of Soviet communism. He advocated lower taxes and higher defense spending, and aggressively challenged the Soviet Union. His ability to communicate is unmatched even to this day.



After leaving office in 1989, the Reagans purchased a home in Los Angeles in addition to the Reagan Ranch in Santa Barbara. In August 1994, at the age of 83, Reagan was diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease,
In November he informed the nation through a handwritten letter....
"I have recently been told that I am one of the millions of Americans who will be afflicted with Alzheimer's disease.
At the moment I feel just fine. I intend to live the remainder of the years God gives me on this earth doing the things I have always done. I will continue to share life's journey with my beloved Nancy and my family. I plan to enjoy the great outdoors and stay in touch with my friends and supporters.
Unfortunately, as Alzheimer's disease progresses, the family often bears a heavy burden. I only wish there was some way I could spare Nancy from this painful experience. When the time comes I am confident that with your help she will face it with faith and courage." ~ Ronald Reagan
As we honor the man who talked to us about the "shinning city" upon the hill, may we remember his words to us in his farewell speech ....as President.
"You know, 4 years ago on the 40th anniversary of D-Day, I read a letter from a young woman writing to her late father, who'd fought on Omaha Beach. Her name was Lisa Zanatta Henn, and she said, "We will always remember, we will never forget what the boys of Normandy did." Well, let's help her keep her word. If we forget what we did, we won't know who we are." ~ Ronald Reagan~

Let us always remember what they did ...so we will know who we were, so we can always know who we are which is Americans. Let not our spirit falter or our patriotism wavier....never forget them they make us who we are yesterday, today and tomorrow.

In his letter to us about his diagnosis of Alzheimer's he also wrote...
"In closing let me thank you, the American people, for giving me the great honor of allowing me to serve as your President.
When the Lord calls me home, whenever that may be, I will leave with the greatest love for this country of ours and eternal optimism for its future." ` Ronald Reagan~
We wish you a Happy Birthday Mr.President, as we know you now celebrate somewhere over the rainbow where that city really shines....we look back and celebrate a life well lived. As you left us with a great love of country know that your country loved you and still does to this day. A man of honor, dignity and humility.

A love and respect of country, a love for Nancy that was so very special ....an example of true love.


You are a true American Hero.....you are missed, loved and will never be forgotten.


No comments:

Post a Comment